Enjoy a healthy twist on this delicious Southern classic. Our oven-fried green tomatoes are paired with a cool, zingy jalapeño-cilantro Greek yogurt dressing.
- 4 medium-sized green tomatoes (about 1 1/3 lb)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup white cornmeal mix
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 4 egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper (could substitute serrano pepper)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut tomatoes into 3/4-inch-thick slices; sprinkle with pepper and cayenne pepper. Let stand 10 minutes on a cutting board.
- Combine cornmeal mix and panko in a shallow dish or pie plate. Place flour in a second shallow dish or pie plate.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy.
- Dredge tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg whites, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Lay tomatoes flat on a greased baking sheet and spray facing-up side with cooking spray.
- Cook tomatoes until golden brown (about 5 minutes on each side).
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan, and keep warm in a 225° oven.
- To prepare jalapeño-cilantro Greek yogurt dressing, mix all ingredients in blender until smooth. Drizzle over the tomatoes if desired, or use for dipping.
Serving Size: 2 slices
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 132
- Saturated fat: 0g
Total carbohydrates: 25g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 90mg