Whether made with your homegrown produce or fresh vegetables from the store, our cucumber sesame salad is a fresh addition to your summer meals. This recipe makes the most of small amounts of honey, red pepper flakes, fish sauce and sesame oil to deliver a healthy and flavorful punch. Try it as a side dish or even for a main course.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound cucumbers (6 small)
- 1 large bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash fish sauce (optional)
- 1 dash sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot, add garlic and chili flakes; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until garlic is golden and aromatic. Pour into a small bowl. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, chop cucumbers and bell peppers into thin slices. Place in a bowl.
- Mix vinegar, mint, honey, fish sauce and sesame oil in with garlic and chili flakes. Pour over cucumber and bell peppers. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Toss to combine.
- Garnish with additional fresh mint and sesame seeds, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
Amount Per Serving