Enjoy our lighter take on this popular comfort food. We've swapped half the pasta for cauliflower and subbed in Greek yogurt and skim milk for heavy cream, so you can enjoy the cheesy goodness of mac 'n' cheese with less calories, fat and carbs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni noodles or medium conchiglie ("shells"), depending on your preference
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup low sodium shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add Panko and cook, stirring until toasted, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions. During the last 3 minutes of cooking time, add cauliflower and cook through; drain well.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in pasta, cauliflower, yogurt, milk and cheeses, a handful at a time, until smooth. Add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with Panko mixture
- Place into oven and bake until bubbly, about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1/2 cup (4 oz.)
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 173
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Protein: 9g
- Dietary fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 107mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg