Enjoy our lighter take on this traditional Mexican snack, featuring black beans, Greek yogurt and feta cheese piled atop a tasty masa (corn) cake and finished with our homemade pico de gallo.
Black bean sopes:
- 2 cups masa corn flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Pico de gallo:
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small white onion
- ½ cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Spice up your pico de gallo by adding jalapeno or serrano peppers, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour masa and salt into a large bowl, add in warm water. Masa should be sticky to the touch.
- Form masa into balls the size of ping pong balls.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on the kitchen counter, place a ball of masa in the center, cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Press down using your hand or a flat-bottomed plate until tortilla is formed (1/4 inch thick).
- Pinch from the inside of the sope to the edge to form a rim all around the sope.
- Heat griddle on medium heat, spray each sope with vegetable spray.
- Brown the sope for 2-4 minutes on each side.
- Repeat until all cooked. Place cooked sopes to the side.
- Add beans, cold water, cumin and coriander to a pot and heat to a boil.
- Mash beans until consistency is smooth.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of black bean mix to each sope and spread evenly.
- Add 1 1/4 teaspoons of feta cheese.
- Place prepared sopes on a baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.
- Prepare pico de gallo by combining all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix well.
- Garnish sopes with Greek yogurt and pico de gallo
Serving size: 2 sopes, 1 tablespoon pico de gallo
Amount per serving
- Calories: 121
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Protein: 6g
Pico de gallo:
- Calories: 2
- Fat: < 1g
- Carbohydrates: < 1g
- Protein: < 1g