RUSH Lung Center
As of February, many appointments have transitioned to the Joan and Paul Rubschlager Building, 1520 W. Harrison St. Check your appointment reminder before you arrive. Learn more.
About the RUSH Lung Center
The RUSH Lung Center provides comprehensive care for common and complex lung conditions. Our multidisciplinary team includes nationally renowned thoracic surgeons, pulmonologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and other specialists who all work together to develop personalized treatment plans for each patient.
We provide the most advanced care for the following:
- Lung cancer: RUSH offers immunotherapy, targeted treatments and minimally invasive surgery for lung cancer — all from nationally recognized cancer specialists.
- Pulmonary diseases: Our pulmonologists specialize in treating both common and complex lung conditions. We have specialty clinics for interstitial lung disease, pulmonary hypertension, cystic fibrosis, asthma and allergeries.
- Complex airway diseases: At the RUSH Lung Center Upper Airway Program, we offer a multidisciplinary program for patients who have airway disorders caused by prolonged intubation or tracheostomy. We offer expert can for people with laryngeal stenosis, tracheomalacia, subglottic stenosis and autoimmune disorders that affect the larynx and trachea.
- Interstitial lung diseases: The RUSH Interstitial Lung Disease Program provides expert care for people living with interstitial lung diseases, or ILDs. We’re here to help determine the right diagnosis and treatments for your lung condition.
Diagnosis and screening
- Lung cancer screening: The lung cancer screening program at RUSH offers the most advanced screening test available for detecting lung cancer in its earliest stages when it is most curable. Lung cancer screening is an annual exam that includes a low-dose CT scan of your chest
- Advanced diagnostic options: Experts at RUSH use a robotic-assisted bronchoscopy system called Ion to diagnose lung cancer faster and more accurately. This minimally invasive lung biopsy reaches more parts of the lung than a standard biopsy, so you get treated sooner.
- Lung nodule monitoring: If your lung cancer screening detects lung nodules, which can be cancerous or noncancerous, our multidisciplinary team will work with you to determine next steps and a treatment plan, which may include monitoring or minimally invasive surgery.
- Genetic testing and counseling: RUSH offers genetic testing and counseling for lung conditions, such as cystic fibrosis.
- Minimally invasive procedures: Our expert thoracic surgery team uses video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS), a minimally invasive surgical procedure to diagnose and treat lung cancer and other thoracic conditions.
- Interventional pulmonology: Interventional pulmonology focuses on using advanced, minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and manage a wide range of thoracic diseases.
- Pulmonary function testing: Our pulmonary function testing lab both uses leading-edge tools and technology to diagnose and monitor the full spectrum of lung diseases, from asthma and shortness of breath to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and more.
- Sweat testing: RUSH has a Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-approved sweat testing laboratory. It is recommended that sweat testing — the gold standard for diagnosing cystic fibrosis — be performed at a CFF-accredited care center such as Rush, where strict guidelines are followed and monitored to make sure test results are accurate.
Treatment and rehabilitation
- Consultation and disease management: The multidisciplinary team at the RUSH Lung Center works with you and each other to manage your disease by preventing, relieving and managing your symptoms — all with the goal of improving your quality of life.
- Surgical intervention: Our nationally renowned thoracic surgery team offers the most advanced surgical treatments, including minimally invasive options.
- Interventional pulmonology: Our interventional pulmonologists use state-of-the-art technology to identify the cause of your respiratory symptoms and then provide the care needed to help you breathe more comfortably.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Our outpatient pulmonary rehab program helps people with chronic lung disease regain strength and endurance.