Mohs surgery is a skin cancer treatment that allows surgeons to verify that all cancer cells have been removed at the time of surgery, while preserving healthy tissue. With the Mohs procedure, the surgeon removes and examines cells by layer — increasing the chance of a cure and reducing the need for additional treatment.
Advantages of Mohs Surgery
- It has the highest cure rate of any procedure to treat skin cancer.
- It results in smaller scars because it preserves the most amount of healthy skin.
- It includes reconstructing the area with aesthetics in mind.
- It minimizes the risk of the cancer returning because your Mohs surgeon verifies that all cancer cells have been removed during the procedure.
- It is an outpatient surgery, often completed in a single visit.
Is Mohs Surgery Right for You?
Mohs surgery may be right for you if any of these things are true about your cancer:
- It occurs in an area — such as the nose, ears, neck, lips, eyelids or on the hands — where it's important to preserve more healthy tissue for functional or cosmetic reasons.
- It has been treated previously and has recurred.
- It's growing rapidly.
- It's large.
- It has indistinct (not sharply defined) borders.
- It has formed in an area of extensive scar tissue.
At RUSH, it may be possible for your reconstructions to be done the same day as your Mohs surgery, but some reconstructions must be done in stages. Your surgeon will discuss your options and help determine which approach is right for you.
RUSH Excellence in Mohs Surgery
- Special training and experience: RUSH dermatologists have special training and experience in performing Mohs surgery, ensuring you receive the highest quality care with the best possible outcome.
- Head and neck plastic surgeons: If needed, RUSH has dedicated and experienced head and neck plastic surgeons to perform reconstruction following Mohs surgery.