The Rush liver transplant team of experts supports you before, during and after your surgery to get back to leading a full life.
A liver transplant is a surgery that removes a liver that no longer functions properly due to liver diseases, such as hepatitis B, end-stage liver disease and liver cancer.
Despite advances in the treatment, a liver transplant remains the only hope for many people who have end-stage liver disease.
At Rush, you will be able to make an appointment for an evaluation for a liver transplant within two weeks. If you qualify for a liver transplant, you will be put on the active waiting list within 30 days. We are available 24 hours a day to respond to offers of organs for you.
Our focus on achieving exceptional outcomes make our liver transplant program at Rush a leader among transplant programs in Chicago.
How a Liver Transplant Works at Rush
One of your care team’s top priorities is to place you on a waiting list for a new liver as quickly as possible. To do this, Rush has a comprehensive liver transplant clinic. At the clinic, you will undergo a thorough liver transplant evaluation to determine if you are a good candidate for a transplant.
During your evaluation you’ll have the following tests:
- CT scan of your abdomen
- Chest X-ray
- Echocardiogram of your heart
- Stress test of your heart
Your surgeon will discuss all of your options and risk factors concerning your liver transplant. And, you will meet with members of the entire team dedicated to your care, including a pre-transplant nurse coordinator, hepatologist, social worker, pharmacist, dietician and financial coordinator.
Once the decision to have a transplant is made, you will be put on the liver transplant list. And, while you are waiting for a new liver, your care team at Rush will monitor you closely and help you stay as comfortable and healthy as possible.
How Safe is a Liver Transplant at Rush?
A liver transplant at Rush is considered very safe. But like all surgeries, there is a risk of bleeding, infection and damage to tissues near the site of the procedure.
Rush Excellence in Liver Transplant Care
- Exceptional patient outcomes: Rush liver transplant patients have excellent outcomes. The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients confirms our liver transplant survival rates for single organ transplants are the highest in the Chicago area at 94%.
- A team approach: While you are on the waiting list for a liver transplant, our team of surgeons, hepatologists, a social worker, psychologist, pharmacist, dietician and a nurse coordinator collaborate together, and with you, to create a personal treatment plan for you.
- Follow-up care where — and when — you need it: A liver transplant is a major surgery that requires lifelong follow-up care. We offer care at a number of convenient locations in the Chicago and the suburbs.
- Second opinion services: Rush offers second opinion services to help you explore all possible treatment options, including liver transplant, for advanced liver disease.