Rush offers advanced treatment options for thyroid and other endocrine cancers, including minimally invasive thyroidectomy and monitoring for thyroid nodules.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Cancer Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center among the best in the nation for cancer care.
The Rush Approach to Thyroid and Endocrine Cancer Care
Being diagnosed with thyroid cancer can make you feel extremely anxious. Fortunately, most thyroid cancers are very curable. Our team of specialists is compassionate and dedicated to working with you to create a personalized plan to meet your lifestyle needs.
We'll work with you to determine the best thyroid cancer treatment for you. For example, if you have a less aggressive cancer, we will tailor your therapy to avoid removing the entire thyroid or treating you with radioactive iodine.
We also take a collaborative care approach to treating thyroid and endocrine cancers. That means you'll have a team of specialists — including endocrinologists who specialize solely in thyroid cancer, medical oncologists, head and neck surgeons and others — all working together with you at the center.
Research has found that this collaborative approach results in treatment plans that allow you the best chance of preserving your quality of life. This includes fewer aggressive surgeries, decreased use of external radiation, fewer invasive biopsies and increased thyroid nodule monitoring.
Rush Excellence in Thyroid and Endocrine Cancer Care
- Endocrinologists who focus on thyroid cancer: If you have thyroid cancer or an endocrine tumor, you will receive care from endocrinologists at Rush who focus specifically on these cancers and are leaders in the field. This level of expertise allows them to provide you with the most up-to-date, effective treatments.
- Extensive surgical expertise: Our approach to thyroid cancer surgery brings together several types of surgical specialists — endocrine surgeons as well as otolaryngologists/head and neck surgeons — who all specialize in the surgical treatment of thyroid cancer. Together, they offer a wide range of surgical options, from minimally invasive thyroidectomy to more complex procedures for advanced cancers.
- Personalized treatment through genetic data: Our partnership with Tempus, a biotechnology company, helps us further personalize your thyroid and endocrine cancer care through genetic testing that can help zero in on a targeted treatment.
- A multidisciplinary team dedicated to you: Our multidisciplinary team of thyroid cancer specialists includes endocrinologists, surgical oncologists, otolaryngologists/head and neck surgeons, genomics researchers, oncologists, pathologists, radiation oncologists and other specialists. The team meets together at a regular thyroid cancer tumor conference to discuss your case and create a personalized plan that focuses on ensuring the best possible outcome for you and maintaining your quality of life.
- Supportive care: Our team is acutely aware that a thyroid cancer diagnosis can have an emotional impact on you and your family. At Rush, you'll have access to our supportive oncology program, which offers psychosocial counseling, nutritional counseling, acupuncture and massage. The team can also connect you to other resources, such as financial counseling and transportation assistance, to help you and your family before, during and after treatment.