If you suffer from chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps or other chronic sinus conditions, sinus surgery is often very effective. There are also many conditions for which sinus surgery is not beneficial.
Between these two extremes, there is a large gray area of symptoms, diseases and conditions for which a physician's clinical judgment is used to decide whether surgery is needed. One surgeon may recommend surgery, while another may recommend nonsurgical remedies. This is where a second opinion for sinus surgery can be particularly helpful.
Why Should I Get a Second Opinion About Sinus Surgery?
Second opinion consultations have always been a part of good medical practice for the following reasons:
- Most nasal and sinus surgery is elective, so there is time to get a second opinion.
- We've found that a substantial number of new patients we evaluate have had unnecessary surgery. In addition, we see new patients who felt rushed to have surgery and who wish they had researched their condition more thoroughly.
- Our second opinion service provides an unbiased comprehensive evaluation. We explain the medical options available to you as alternatives to surgery, and we outline the potential benefits of surgery in your particular case. It's essential for you to understand your options so you can make an informed decision.
How Can I Get a Second Opinion for Sinus Surgery?
If you have been advised to undergo sinus surgery and would like another opinion, follow the steps below to request an expedited surgical second opinion.
- You must have a prior recommendation for sinus surgery from an ear, nose and throat physician.
- You will need to bring a copy of your CT scan on a CD-ROM. You can obtain this from the imaging center where your sinus CT scan was performed. Please do not bring only a written report. The physical CD is needed.
- Contact our scheduling coordinator and provide your name, telephone number and email address at (312) 942-7176 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have completed these steps, we will call you to schedule an appointment with one of our sinus specialists within one to three business days.