At Rush, you will receive comprehensive care for diagnosing, preventing and treating osteoporosis, from powerful new medications to nutritional counseling.
The Rush Approach to Osteoporosis Care
You don't need to live in fear of frail bones that fracture easily. At Rush, we have all the tests necessary to identify osteoporosis and osteopenia (lower than normal bone density), as well as the latest treatments to slow bone loss and, in some cases, build new bone.
Osteoporosis-related services available to Rush patients include the following:
- Bone mineral density testing, using Rush’s state-of-the-art DEXA system
- A vertebral fracture assessment, which is an imaging technology that looks for possible fractures in your spine
- Blood tests to see if you have low vitamin D or calcium levels, which can contribute to osteoporosis
- The latest oral, injectable and intravenous medications for treating bone loss
- Information on ways to make your home safe to avoid falls
- Tips on developing an exercise plan to strengthen your bones and improve your balance to prevent falls
- Counseling on diet and nutrition that focuses on improving your bone health
- Care for bone fractures, including orthopedic surgery, and physical therapy and rehabilitation to help you get your strength back
- Spine-stabilizing surgery (kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty) to relieve pain from spinal fractures
Our physicians will tailor your treatment plan to address your specific needs and preferences. If a medical condition, such as rheumatoid arthritis or kidney disease, is contributing to your bone loss, we will also focus on treating that condition to prevent further bone loss.
Rush Excellence in Osteoporosis Care
- Comprehensive care: You can get all the care you need to manage your bone health at Rush. Because Rush is a major academic health system, you have access to comprehensive health services, including bone imaging studies, IV medication treatment, physical therapy and nutritional counseling. Members of your care team may include rheumatologists, endocrinologists, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, interventional radiologists, nurses, physical therapists and imaging technicians.
- A focus on prevention: In addition to treating bone loss, Rush's osteoporosis care team can help you prevent osteoporosis with lifestyle modifications, including diet, exercise and smoking cessation.
- Nationally renowned orthopedic and spine surgeons: Rush University Medical Center is ranked among the best in the nation for orthopedics, neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Whenever possible, our surgeons use minimally invasive approaches, which means smaller incisions and less pain compared to traditional surgery.
- Infusion and injection services: Many osteoporosis medications need to be given either via an IV or through subcutaneous injection (under the skin). Our highly trained nurses administer these shots and IV treatments, ensuring that you receive the medications safely and effectively.