The Rush Approach to Hemophilia and Thrombophilia Care
At Rush, you will have a multidisciplinary team of blood disorders specialists in your corner. We'll work with you to help you understand your condition and gain the confidence you need to manage it. We do this by providing you with the support, care and tools you need to prevent complications and live a full life.
You'll have access to all the medical, psychological, social and supportive services you need. We'll discuss all of your treatment options with you, and we'll tailor your care plan to the type of blood disorder you have and your specific lifestyle and needs.
We take a holistic approach to treating blood disorders. You or your child will may also work with the following specialties:
- Lifestyle counseling and education to help prevent complications in your everyday life
- Nutrition counseling to help you plan a healthy diet
- Social and emotional counseling to address anxiety, depression, fears and other emotions
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Orthopedic care and physical therapy to prevent joint complications (for bleeding disorders)
Rush Excellence in Hemophilia and Thrombophilia Care
- Positive patient outcomes and quality of life: Research has found that people with bleeding disorders who go to hemophilia treatment centers like the one at Rush are 40% less likely to be admitted to the hospital for bleeding complications.
- Dedicated clinic for women and girls: The Foundation for Women & Girls with Blood Disorders has recognized Rush for providing specialized care to girls, young adults and women who have bleeding disorders.
- Expertise in von Willebrand disease: At Rush, we have a dedicated clinic for people who have von Willebrand disease, a genetic bleeding disorder.
- Highly experienced providers. Because Rush has one of the busiest hemophilia and thrombophilia centers in Illinois, our hematologists have experience with all types of bleeding and clotting disorders. We also know how to prevent and treat complications that can develop, including large bruises, joint problems, and inhibitors (an immune response that makes treating bleeds more difficult).
- Constantly seeking more effective treatments. Our clinician-researchers are involved in clinical trials and research studies related to bleeding and clotting disorders. This means you will have access to new effective treatments as soon as they become available.
- Child-friendly care: Children and teenagers who come to Rush for bleeding disorders care are seen by our highly experienced pediatric hematologist who specializes in treating these disorders in young people. We understand the challenges that children with blood and clotting disorders face. For instance, we can coach you and your child on how to lower the risk of injury when playing favorite sports or engaging in other activities. We can also help adolescent girls and young adults prevent heavy menstrual bleeding with various medications.
- Collaboration with other providers: When you have a bleeding or clotting disorder, certain medical procedures and events — including childbirth, surgery and major dental work — can be risky. Our team will counsel you and consult with your surgeon, OB-GYN or other specialists to help ensure your safety.