Consider a safe alternative to open-heart surgery with our same-day personalized treatment plans and minimally invasive treatments.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Heart Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center among the best in the nation for heart care.
The RUSH Approach to Congenital and Structural Heart Disease Care
At RUSH, cardiac diagnostic and therapeutic specialists, surgeons, anesthesiologists and pediatric cardiologists come together to offer the latest innovative care to patients with structural heart diseases, including:
- All forms of leaky valves
- All forms of stenotic valves
- Congenital heart diseases including atrial septal defects, ventricular septal defects, patent foreman ovale (PFO), and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Thanks to our advanced technology and devices, we can treat these conditions through minimally invasive procedures, regardless of how old or sick you may be.
RUSH Excellence in Congenital and Structural Heart Disease Care
- Care that doesn’t fall through the cracks: At RUSH, we are committed to ensuring that every patient is given the attention and resources they deserve. We have a care coordinator follow your care from your first day with us. The coordinator ensures your case is referred to the right specialists, that your entire care team is fully briefed on your case, and your treatment and follow-up appointments are handled correctly.
- Minimally invasive procedures: The treatment of congenital and structural heart diseases through minimally invasive catheter-based procedures. That means faster recoveries, less rehab and less pain for you. We have extensive expertise in TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement), which involves replacing the aortic valve without needing open-heart surgery. We also offer MitraClip if you have severe leakage in your mitral valve. Given their minimally invasive nature, these are ideal treatment options if you're not eligible for traditional surgery.
- Same-day treatment plans: You will meet with a team of specialists — including an interventional cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon — at the same time. Drawing on their many years of experience, these specialists develop an individualized treatment plan and present it to you on the same day.
- Access to up-and-coming treatments and trials: Access to up-and-coming treatments and trials: RUSH heart specialists are engaged in important clinical trials, offering patients treatment not possible in other settings. Trials lead to innovative treatments, including transaortic valve replacement (TAVR), MitraClip and the CoreValve. Our specialists continue to participate in research and clinical trials aimed at helping people with congenital and structural heart diseases lead longer, fuller lives.