Colder temperatures call for hearty, yet healthy comfort food, and this recipe for pumpkin mac and cheese delivers both. You can even add ground poultry or plant-based “meat” to transform it from a side dish to a main course.
● 3 cups (9 oz) whole wheat penne pasta
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
● 2 garlic cloves, minced
● 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
● 2 cups skim milk
● 1 teaspoon nutmeg
● ¼ teaspoon allspice
● ¼ teaspoon black pepper
● 2 cups shredded cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cook the pasta to al dente according to the box instructions. Once cooked, drain and place pasta back in the pot.
2. Preheat a large skillet on medium heat, add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add pumpkin puree, milk, nutmeg, allspice, black pepper and cooked pasta to skillet. Stir until combined.
4. Pour half of the pasta mixture into a greased baking dish and sprinkle with half the cheese. Top with remaining mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and the edges are golden brown.
Nutritional info per serving (makes 8 servings)
Serving size: ½ cup
● Calories: 215
● Fat: 6g
● Carbohydrates: 26g
○ Dietary Fiber: 5g
● Protein: 13g