Specialists in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Rush University Children’s Hospital are dedicated to providing compassionate, specialized care when your child faces a serious illness.
An attentive and expert team treats children of all ages who are suffering from severe health problems, such as congenital heart diseases, sepsis and cancer. They also care for children who may need a higher level of care for surgical recovery.
The team in the PICU also knows that having a seriously ill child in the hospital affects your entire family. They provide the support and comfort you need in a family-friendly setting.
Remarkable Care for Kids
- 24/7 staffing: The PICU is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by board certified/eligible pediatric critical care specialists.
- Family-centered care: The heart of Rush University Children's Hospital is family-centered care, which means you will be involved in every care decision for your child while they are in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. We believe children's families are integral members of the care team.
- A supportive and kid-friendly patient experience: Child life specialists at Rush University Children's Hospital can help you find ways to keep your child engaged and comfortable even when they are seriously ill. They specialize in helping your child cope with being in the hospital and understanding what is happening.
- Center of excellence: If your child is fighting an underlying heart or lung condition in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, they may need extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), a heart-lung bypass treatment that temporarily does the work of your child's heart and/or lungs. The Extracorporeal Life Support Organization recognized Rush as a Center of Excellence in ECMO services. This designation recognizes the exceptional ECMO care available at Rush.
- Amenities for families: If your child is in the PICU, there are a number of amenities available to families to help make the hospital stay easier and less stressful, including a family lounge with computers, exercise area, showers and complementary massages certain days of the month.