For many patients, accessing hospital-based abortion care — along with the support and resources needed — can be a challenge.
RUSH has partnered with UI Health, Northwestern, the University of Chicago Medicine and the Chicago Abortion Fund to provide the Complex Abortion Referral Line for Access (CARLA) – a patient referral center that helps patients seeking complex abortion care at hospitals in Illinois.
The goal of the statewide program, called the Complex Abortion Referral Line for Access, is to:
- Reduce barriers to care for patients needing complex abortion care.
- Improve access and lessen disparities in accessing for abortion care at hospitals.
- Reduce strain on free-standing abortion clinics.
- Improve efficiency and reduce delay for medically urgent referrals.
How it works
The CARLA program team provides the support needed to ensure that patients who need a hospital-based abortion receive safe and compassionate care in a timely manner.
Once a patient is referred to the program, a CARLA nurse will:
- Perform a patient’s medical intake
- Schedule a patient’s abortion care
- Coordinate the funding and any resources needed, such as finances, transportation, lodging and child care
Referring a patient
To refer your patient to the CARLA program, please email us at CARLA@rush.edu.