At Rush University Medical Center, we are putting your safety first. For information about COVID-19, see the latest updates. Rush accepts donations to support our response effort, staff, and patients and families.
Transient Ischemic Attack Study (POINT)
The purpose of this study is to determine whether taking Plavix and aspirin for 90 days immediately following a minor stroke or TIA will decrease the risk for another event.
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
Have neurological deficit (based on history or exam) attributed to focal brain ischemia and either of the follwoing apply:
- Have high-risk TIA: complete resolution of the deficit at the time of randomization and ABCD2 score of (greater than or equal to) 4.
- Have minor ischemic stroke: residual deficit with NIHSS of (less than or equal to) 3 at the time of randomization.
- Have ability to randomize within 12 hours of time last known free of new ischemic symptoms.
- Are able to tolerate aspirin at a dose of 50-325 mg/day.
- Be over 18 years old.
- Don't have need for anticoagulation therapy or GI bleeding problems.
This is a partial list of eligibility requirements.