For patients who received a letter on improperly disclosed information by a claims processing vendor, read more.
The Creating Healthy Environment for Chicago Kids (CHECK) Study
The goal of this study is to compare two family-based treatments for childhood obesity on their effectiveness and cost. Both treatments are 12 months long and include nutrition education, physical activity coaching, and behavior modification. One group will be randomly assigned to receive treatment at Rush University Medical Center, and the other will receive the intervention in their home. Altogether, 266 families will be enrolled.
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Have an overweight or obese child between ages 6 and 11 years old.
- Live in a lower-income household.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Live more than 15 miles from Rush.
- Are not willing to regularly meet with researchers at Rush and in your home throughout the entire 12-month study.
- Have a major medical or psychiatric condition likely to interfere with treatment.
This is a partial list of inclusion and exclusion criteria.