Clinical Trial TitlePreoperative cognitive therapy for reducing persistent postsurgical pain after total knee replacement in high-risk catastrophizing subjects (CT).
Clinical Trial Protocol Description:
The purpose of this study is to determine whether cognitive (talking) therapy can prevent the development of persistent post-surgical pain, examined at 8 weeks prior to total knee replacement and 3 months after surgery.
Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria:
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Are undergoing standard tricompartmental primary TKR.
- Are 18-85 years of age.
- Have a knee to be replaced that is the primary source of pain.
- Agree to preoperative and follow-up visits and comply with the assessment tests.
- Consent to standard anesthetic and analgesic protocol, with medical care as deemed necessary by an anesthesiologist, and have no contraindications.
- Have a diagnosis of osteoarthritis.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Are currently using antidepressant medication or undergoing cognitive therapy.
- Have chronic opioid use ≥ 10 mg/day of morphine equivalents within one week prior to the surgery, and duration of use > 4 weeks.
- Have a history of opioid abuse.
- Are not able to understand and communicate with the investigators to complete the study related questionnaires.
- Are currently enrolled in another research study.
- Are planning to undergo another elective joint replacement procedure during the 6 month period of participation.
- Have any comorbidity which results in severe systemic disease limiting function, as defined by the American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA) physical status classification.
This is a partial list of elgibility requirements. To inquire about your eligibility, please call the contact number provided. If you wish to inquire via email, please include the title of the study in your message.