We know that being able to drive is important. Our driving rehabilitation experts work with you to gain the skills to return to safe and independent driving.
The occupational therapists at the Rush Driving Rehabilitation program are committed to helping you drive safely for as long as possible. This includes assessing whether you need any adaptations for your vehicle, such as steering wheel changes or hand controls.
Who Would Benefit from Driving Rehabilitation?
Signs that you should be evaluated and you may need driving assistance to do so safely and independently include the following:
- Disability due to a diagnosis of poor vision
If you have any hesitation about driving, the first step is to seek a doctor's order for an evaluation.
To receive a driving evaluation, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be seizure-free for at least six months
- Have a physician's order
- Have a valid driver's license or temporary permit
- Meet state minimum visual requirements
Driving Rehabilitation Treatment at Rush
At Rush, our occupational therapists are specially trained in assessing driver safety and are certified driving rehabilitation specialists. They will conduct an evaluation that includes the following:
- Brief medical history
- Driving history
- Perceptual and cognitive screening
- Brake reaction speed test
- Visual screening
- A written driver's test
It may be necessary for you to have a behind-the-wheel evaluation, which includes the following:
- Driving in a real-world setting
- Independently getting in and out of a car, and storing mobility aids as needed
- Assessing your vehicle to recommend the necessary equipment to ensure your safety while increasing your independence
Our program includes a social worker coordinator who supports the team in providing resources and education for you.
Rush Excellence in Driving Rehabilitation
- Recognized for quality: Our occupational therapists have been recognized for excellence in rehabilitation — including receiving f4- and 5-star ratings from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and certification from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
- A unique program: Rush University Medical Center is one of the only hospitals in Illinois that offers driving rehabilitation. Our occupational therapists are specially trained in accessing driver safety and are certified driving rehabilitation specialists. We are able to address your individual challenges and help you drive safely again.