The Rush Approach to Midwifery Care
Certified nurse midwives are advanced practice nurses (APNs) and women’s health experts who believe you should have ownership over your health. Through education and a personal relationship, our midwives empower you to make the best decisions for your wellness, from pregnancy to menopause.
Just as midwife means “with woman,” our midwives are at your side — guiding prenatal care, coaching labor and delivering your baby. We also help you create a childbirth plan focused on your goals and the resources Rush offers, including alternative birthing options.
Before and after pregnancy, we'll care for your women's health needs, offering gynecologic care and annual exams.
Rush Excellence in Midwifery Care
- Care in all stages of life: We care for you from your first period through menopause. Our midwives offer preventive women’s health care, including gynecologic services and well-woman annual exams, in addition to supporting you during pregnancy. We can also help you through the transition of menopause.
- We get to know you: Our midwives want to have a personal relationship with you, understanding your needs and advocating for your wellness and childbirth goals. To meet our midwives and learn if midwifery care is right for you, book an introductory appointment here.
- Our focus is on your family: Part of our midwifery care is taking the time to get to know your partner and family. We’ll involve your loved ones so they can take an active role during your pregnancy and childbirth — and with caring for the baby.
- Birthing suite designed for non-medicated delivery: We offer the Fox Valley’s only alternative birthing suite — providing a home-like birth in the safety of a hospital setting. Our suite includes a queen-size bed and special laboring items, such as a birthing sling, seat and ball, to encourage a non-medicated delivery.
- Rush resources support your delivery goals: Our Family Birth Center at Rush Copley Medical Center offers you and your baby the best, from the beginning. Spacious labor and delivery suites include many of the comforts of home, as well as hydrotherapy tubs. These tubs use water to ease the pain of labor and can facilitate water births.
- Care continues post-delivery: We know that labor isn’t always the hardest part of having a baby. We’ll be at your side as you navigate any postpartum challenges, including helping with breastfeeding and supporting you through postpartum depression. Our midwives spend time with you post-delivery, being particularly sensitive to your emotional health especially if your delivery did not go as planned.
- Highest level of NICU care: For some low-risk births, unexpected complications can require a baby to need extra care. Our midwives are experts at recognizing if a baby is in need, and partner with other Rush providers to give your baby the highest level of care. We offer the only level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in the Fox Valley, with private rooms and bathrooms so parents can stay with their babies around-the-clock.