This lighter take on Julia Child's classic French potato and leek soup is the perfect comfort food. Low in calories and fat, it only tastes decadent. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner on a blustery day, or serve as a starter at your next gathering. Bon appétit!
- 1 medium (½ pound) potato, sliced, diced and peeled
- 1.5 (½ pound) leeks including tender green, thinly sliced
- 1 quart water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups 2 percent milk
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons minced parsley or chives for garnish
- Add vegetables to water, add salt. Bring to boil, and keep partially covered for 40-50 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain water and blend the vegetables with 2% milk in a blender.
- Add cheese, let melt.
- Add parsley or chives to garnish.
For added nutrients and flavor, you can add a cup or two of vegetables to the base of the soup, such as carrots, turnips, tomatoes, dried beans, lentils, peas, cauliflowers, cucumbers, broccoli, lima beans, peas, zucchini, okra or string beans.
Serving Size: ¾ cup
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 58
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Protein: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 8g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Sodium: 76mg