The Rush Center for Preoperative Medicine provides comprehensive medical evaluations to patients undergoing elective surgery. Our experienced providers are board-certified in internal medicine and use an evidence-based approach to evaluate patients' chronic medical problems and estimate the risk of complications. The clinic serves as a reliable resource to collect all necessary lab work and test results prior to surgery, thereby improving the efficiency of all staff involved in the peri-operative process. Our model creates a streamlined process for our patients and surgeons, resulting in high patient satisfaction and reducing same-day surgery cancellations.
What to expect during your visit
- Visits typically take about 45 minutes to an hour. However, visits may take longer for patients with more complicated medical problems.
- After checking in, an electrocardiogram will be obtained if applicable and medications will be reviewed by a medical assistant.
- One of our providers will perform a comprehensive history and physical and discuss recommendations leading to your surgery.
- Necessary lab work will be drawn in our clinic laboratory at the end of the visit.
- If a referral is made to a specialist or additional testing is ordered, our staff will help schedule timely appointments.
- Anesthesiologists are on staff to provide additional recommendations for patients who have had past complications from anesthesia or for whom special precautions in anesthesia are anticipated.
Preparing for your appointment
Bring the following information to your appointment:
- Current medical insurance card
- Current government-issued photo ID
- Results of lab work or electrocardiogram taken during the last four months
- An updated list of all current medications, supplements and over-the counter medications. Please include the dose and frequency for each medication.
- Please take your medications according to your normal schedule on the day of your appointment. There is no need to fast prior to the appointment.
Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.