Safe Care at Rush:
Rush has taken the necessary steps to ensure it's a safe place for treatment. Learn more.
COVID-19 Testing and Wait Times
As the omicron variant quickly spreads throughout Illinois, RUSH is experiencing an increased volume of patients in our Emergency Departments. We expect that wait times will continue to increase. If you need a COVID test, RUSH offers a number of other readily available solutions.
- Get a COVID-19 test appointment at RUSH using online scheduling.
- COVID-19 testing sites are available at locations all around Illinois. Use the State of Illinois' interactive map to find a convenient testing location near you.
- The City of Chicago also offers testing locations on their website.
- Chicago residents can contact Connect Chicago for a mail-in, at-home test or visit one of their two in-person testing sites.
If you’re not sure if you need a test or have other questions about COVID-19 or other health conditions, please consider an E-Visit or on-demand video visit with a RUSH On Demand provider. RUSH On Demand providers can also help you schedule a test if you have symptoms.
DispatchHealth also offers in-person treatment at home from experienced medical providers within a few hours.
About Rush Oak Park Hospital Emergency Department
- Experienced emergency care: Our staff handles approximately 40,000 emergencies each year, including 5,000 pediatric emergencies. So we can provide your entire family with the high-quality care you deserve.
- Expert heart attack and stroke care: We consistently beat national standards for the time it takes us to open blocked arteries, which means we save more heart muscle — and lives. And we're a Joint Commission-certified Primary Stroke Center because of our success in caring for patients with stroke symptoms. We also work with Rush University Medical Center via the telestroke robot, which is telemedicine technology that allows us to share scan results and consult with stroke specialists on complex cases.
- Designed with your safety and convenience in mind: Our state-of-the-art ED features 22 private treatment rooms, two behavioral health rooms and a decontamination room, which prevents the spread of infections. We also have a large triage area so you can get checked-in faster. Plus, ultrasound and CT imaging suites are located just steps away from the ED, making it easy for you to have imaging done, and for us to diagnose your problems more rapidly.
- You go home quicker: For patients discharged from the ED, the average visit is less than two hours. For admitted patients, the average stay is just under three and a half hours. This beats national averages across the board.