When your child comes to Rush University Children’s Hospital for surgery, our team of pediatric surgery specialists makes every effort to put your child and you at ease. They take time to get to know your child and family. This helps them tailor care to your child and lessen anxieties. It also helps families become active members of the child’s care team.
To create a relaxed environment, doctors sometimes dress as a child’s favorite super hero. Or nurses may serve a “potion” from a beloved Harry Potter book. But what may help comfort you most is knowing that your child is in skilled and capable hands.
Expertise in pediatric surgery and care
At Rush, you’ll find pediatric surgical specialists who treat children of all ages, from newborns to young adults. These doctors understand the unique physical and emotional needs of children and their families.
Pediatric surgical specialists at Rush include the following:
- Pediatric surgeons: Care for everything from the correction of birth defects to the removal of tumors
- Pediatric heart surgeon: Treat congenital heart and valve problems, such as tetralogy of Fallot
- Pediatric neurosurgeons: Perform surgeries to treat conditions including epilepsy and hydrocephalus
- Pediatric craniofacial surgeons: Experts in cleft lip and cleft palate surgery and LeFort osteotomy
- Pediatric anesthesiologists: Adept at the intricacies of sedating children by navigating their airways, putting them at ease and lessening their pain
Care after surgery
Wherever your child recovers from surgery — the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) or in the general inpatient unit — your child and family will be surrounded by caring and supportive staff. These include the following:
- Pediatric nurses
- Child life specialists
- Social workers
Convenient appointment scheduling
Pediatric surgeons at Rush are now accepting new patients. If your child is a new patient, you can make an appointment online with one of our pediatric surgeons.