Clinical Trial TitleThis is a study to determine what doctors are doing to treat patients suspected of having paradoxical diarrhea.
Clinical Trial Protocol Description:
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the frequency of a condition known as overflow or paradoxical diarrhea. This is a clinical condition in which constipation causes stool to leak around an area of hard stool, giving symptoms of diarrhea or altered bowel habits. Although this is an often seen and described in clinical practice, no research exists on what type of patients get this condition or the ideal treatment of this condition. We hope to understand how common this condition is and to determine what X-ray findings (if you have one) and questionnaire results predict who gets paradoxical diarrhea.
Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria:
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Are between 18 and 75 years of age.
- Have clinical suspencion for paradoxical diarrhea.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Have any history of colon surgery.
- Have any history of colon cancer.
- Have inflammatory bowel disease or any history of colitis.
- Have had no positive stool culture, viral stool test, or clostridium dificile within the last 30 days.
This is a partial list of inclusion and exclusion criteria.