Clinical Trial TitleRandomized controlled trial comparing two weight loss diets and their effects on brain health and cognitive decline.
Clinical Trial Protocol Description:
The purpose of this study is to test the effects of a 3 year diet intervention of the MIND Diet on cognitive decline and brain neurodegeneration. The study will take place at 2 sites: Rush University Medical Center and Harvard School of Public Health. A total of 600 people will be recruited for this study. At Rush University Medical Center, we expect to recruit 300 participants. The weight loss diets will be assigned randomly.
Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria:
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Are between the ages of 65 and 84.
- Have a family history of dementia, but without personal cognitive impairment.
- Are overweight/obese (BMI above 25).
- Have a suboptimal/poor diet.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Have cognitive impairment.
- Use medications to treat Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease.
- Have a current diagnosis of psychosis or bipolar disorder.
- Report alcohol or substance abuse within the past 6 months.
- Have been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease within the past 6 months.
- Have HIV or hepatitis C.
This is a partial list of inclusion and exclusion criteria.