Rush offers fast, accurate cystic fibrosis diagnosis — including sweat testing appointments within 72 hours — and expert disease management for a lifetime.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Cystic Fibrosis Care
The Rush Cystic Fibrosis Center is accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) and has been selected as a CFF partner on quality initiatives aimed at improving care for all cystic fibrosis patients.
The Rush Approach to Cystic Fibrosis Care
If you or your child has cystic fibrosis, comprehensive care is key to managing the disease and slowing its progression to enable a longer, better life. Research shows that children and adults with cystic fibrosis do best when treated in a multidisciplinary clinic.
At the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-accredited Rush Cystic Fibrosis Center at Rush University Medical Center, our multidisciplinary team consists of pulmonologists, gastroenterologists, nurse practitioners and palliative care experts, along with nurses, dietitians, genetic counselors, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and even a dedicated psychologist.
They all work together to treat you or your child seamlessly through every phase of life.
Rush Excellence in Cystic Fibrosis Care
- Fast, accurate diagnosis: If your baby has a positive newborn screening for cystic fibrosis, you can schedule a sweat test at Rush within 72 hours by calling (312) 942-3034. We use CFF-approved sweat testing — the gold standard for diagnosis — and you'll be able to talk with a genetic counselor at your testing appointment.
- Expert, coordinated care: Everyone who has cystic fibrosis experiences the disease differently, so it's crucial to be treated by experts who tailor a care plan to your unique situation. Your care team meets weekly to discuss your plan, make any needed adjustments and ensure that the plan works for your whole family. And if lung transplant becomes necessary as your disease advances, we'll connect you with the specialists and resources you need.
- Pre-appointment planning: You drive the agenda for every appointment with your care team. Before you come in, your team reaches out to find out what you'd like to discuss.
- On-site pulmonary function testing: In addition to our adult pulmonary function lab, Rush has one of only a few Illinois laboratories dedicated to evaluating and testing children with lung disorders. At every appointment, you'll have lung function tests and get immediate results to discuss with your care team.
- Care for a lifetime: The transition from pediatric to adult care for cystic fibrosis at Rush is seamless: You'll come to the same location, see many of the same specialists and continue the trusted relationships you've formed over the years with our small, tightly integrated team.