The Rush Child Life department will be accepting applications for the Spring 2023 internship (application deadline is September 5, 2022). Our application process is currently under revision. Please check back in early August for updates.
The child life internship program at Rush Children’s Hospital is accredited through the Association for Child Life Professionals (ACLP) and meets all requirements for certification readiness. Rush Children’s Hospital offers an internship three times a year. The internship experience is outlined below:
- Follow the child life curriculum outlined by the Association for Child Life Professionals (ACLP)
- Full-time (40 hours per week), unpaid positions
- 600 hours (spread over 15 weeks)
- Begin in January, May/June and September each year (based on the ACLP internship schedule)
Requirements to Apply
We are only able to interview applicants who meet the general prerequisites and criteria below:
- PLEASE NOTE: we DO accept unaffiliated candidates who meet all other ACLP/internship eligibility requirements
- Current enrollment in OR completion of a Bachelor’s degree program
- Current enrollment in OR completion of a Master’s degree program
- Course work reviewed/accepted according to ACLP Eligibility Assessment
- Core curriculum classes or degree in child life, child development or a closely related field
- Completion of a course taught by a certified child life specialist
- Grade point average of a B or better in major field of study
- Completion of a 100+ hour child life practicum with a child life department (supervised by certified child life specialist)
- We will accept virtual practicums, traditional practicums and practicums in progress (please include the appropriate forms in your application).
- We will not accept applications where a practicum has not yet started (e.g., to begin in fall 2021). Practicums must be completed or in progress at the time of application.
- Completion of 100+ hours of experience with children in health care settings (separate from practicum experience).
- Completion of 100+ hours of experience with children in stressful situations (separate from practicum experience).
- Completion of 100+ hours of experience with well children.
Apply for a Child Life Internship
To apply for the child life internship at Rush Children’s Hospital, we require the following:
- Completed ACLP common application, including all applicable pages
- Cover letter
- Eligibility assessment (or proof of academic program endorsement)
- Official or Unofficial transcripts from all institutions where course work was completed
- Three recommendation letters with matching ACLP common recommendation forms
- PLEASE NOTE: each recommender should submit BOTH a letter and matching ACLP common recommendation form in a signed and sealed envelope.
- Letters of recommendation should be from professionals who have observed your work with children or those who can speak to your knowledge and skill set (e.g., professors, colleagues, child life specialists).
- Practicum evaluation forms do not count as letters of recommendation.
- Verification of related experience forms
- Verification of practicum form or practicum in progress form
- Course in progress forms (if applicable)
Please note: Only completed application packets will be reviewed for an internship interview. Please ensure that you submit all materials listed/provided in the common application, in addition to a resume, transcripts and letters of recommendation by the deadline.
Our application process is currently under revision. Please check back in early August for updates.
All application materials should be postmarked by the following deadlines below:
- Winter (January): Sept. 5
- Summer (May/June): Jan. 5
- Fall (September): Mar. 15
For inquiries or clarifications regarding student programs, please contact the internship and practicum coordinator:
Shira Miller, MS, CCLS