About Rush Center for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
If you’re at risk for cardiovascular disease, Rush Oak Park Hospital’s Center for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease is here to help you prevent cardiac disease from developing and commit to your health and wellness goals.
- Thorough screening process: With comprehensive screening, we are able to assess your personal risk and create a plan to help you reach to your health goals. The screening process will address both common cardiovascular disease risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, etc.) and often overlooked risk factors, such as sedentary behavior, sleep apnea, depression and musculoskeletal disease, among others. The initial screening process includes interviews, a physical exam and lab tests. Further testing may also be recommended for you.
- Multidisciplinary approach: A multidisciplinary approach is at the core of our comprehensive center. You will be co-assessed by a cardiologist and a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist, and will have access to an extended network of providers including a behavioral health psychologist, sleep medicine specialist, dietitian, smoking cessation specialist, bariatric surgeon, social worker and endocrinologist. We work closely together to review each case and collaborate to make sure you get the best care for you and your health.
- Individually tailored treatment plans: Just as every person is unique, every treatment plan is unique. When we’re creating your personalized plan, we take into account a variety of factors, including genetic predisposition to cardiac disease, risk factors and lifestyle. We also look at any potential barriers to treatment, such as work, child care, transportation or physical impairment. We’ll work with you to set reasonable goals, and then help you achieve them.
- A full range of treatments: We’ll coordinate all of the care from your treatment plan, so you don’t have to schedule appointments with multiple specialists at different times — something we know can be a burden. Our therapeutic offerings include lipid-lowering therapy; antihypertensive (high blood pressure) therapy; antiplatelet therapy; nicotine replacement therapy; a graduated exercise program; physical therapy; psychotherapy; CPAP; nutrition counseling; and medication management.
- Empowered program: We use innovative technology to closely track your progress and share this information with you on a regular basis, empowering you to take an active role in your care. We also provide online discussion forums and small in-person group sessions to discuss challenges, successes and experiences, so you, and our program, can continue to evolve.
Schedule a consultation with us if any of the following is true:
- You have a family history of cardiovascular disease
- You have any of the following risk factors for cardiovascular disease: high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes
- You are obese or have a sedentary lifestyle (you don’t exercise and/or spend the majority of your time sitting)
- You have a chronic inflammatory condition, such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis or HIV