Clinical Trial TitleGut-Brain Axis in Parkinson's Disease & REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD Microbiome)
Clinical Trial Protocol Description:
The purpose of this study is to compare the contents, including bacteria, of stool in patients with Parkinson’s disease (PD) and REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD). This observation study will look at the gut-brain axis in these two groups of patients compared to normal individuals who live in the same household. Participants will be asked to contribute blood, stool, have a neurological examination, and fill out a number of questionnaires.
Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria:
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Use of antibiotics during 12 weeks prior to sample collection.
- Use of probiotics/prebiotics for 14 days prior to sample collections.
- Have a non-traditional American diet (vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, Paleo, Ketogenic).
- Regular use of NSAID (>3 days per week).
- Have chronic GI disease (IBD, celiac disease).
- Have had prior GI surgery (cholecystectomy, hemorrhoid surgery and appendicectomy are recorded but are allowed).
- Alcohol misuse (AUDIT questionnaire).
- Regular (> 3 times a week) use of NSAIDs.
This is a partial list of eligibility requirements. To inquire about your eligibility, please call the contact number provided. If you wish to inquire via email, please include the title of the study in your message.