Opportunities to learn and grow while helping others make Rush University Medical Center a great place to volunteer. Volunteers play a key role in supporting our commitment to the community and excellent patient care.
Join our 600 volunteers
More than 600 people from throughout Chicago and the suburbs choose to volunteer at Rush — and new volunteers are always welcome. Rush volunteers include the following:
- Students exploring the health care industry
- Professionals seeking to serve their community
- Retirees interested in meeting new people and staying active
- People who want to make a difference — like you.
Volunteers at Rush must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 17 years old. (Internships and externships are not available through Volunteer Services.)
- Complete the volunteer application
- Attend a hospital orientation for new volunteers
- Receive a TB test upon acceptance
- Provide immunization records for measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and chicken pox
- Be able to commit to four hours of service once a week for a minimum of six months
- Serve as a Special Services volunteer for the first six months of service
- Must be able to commit to four hours/week, Monday-Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. for a minimum of six months served consecutively. (We’re sorry there are no summer only opportunities available).
How to volunteer
It's easy to get started as a Rush volunteer. Simply complete and submit our volunteer application. Once your application is received, we will contact you by email to discuss the next steps. Please allow 5-7 business days for our response.
Contact Volunteer Services
Terence W. Maynard
Director, Hospital Guest Relations, Rush Fitness Center
Questions about volunteering?
You’ll find answers to many common questions about volunteering in our Volunteer FAQs.