Offering state-of-the-art care for patients with all forms of liver disease, the Section of Hepatology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago is well known for its long tradition of leadership in the field. The section offers leading-edge, multidisciplinary care, including the latest diagnostic and treatment therapies and access to clinical research trials for patients with liver disease.
The Section of Hepatology provides thorough diagnosis, treatment and medical management for patients with the following liver diseases:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Hepatocellular carcinoma or liver cancer
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Cholestatic liver disease
- Hereditary hemochromatosis
- Wilson's disease
- Toxic liver injury
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
In addition to treating these diseases, the Section of Hepatology at Rush University Medical Center also offers patients access to the most innovated diagnostic and treatment procedures, including:
- Upper endoscopy or EGD
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) with SpyGlass Technology
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)
- Stenting of biliary strictures
- Percutaneous and transjugular liver biopsy
- Endoscopic ultrasound or EUS
- Esophageal sclerotherapy
- Esophageal variceal banding
The clinical team includes Nikunj N. Shah, MD, acting chief of the Section of Hepatology, and Sheila Eswaran, MD, MS. The section works in close collaboration with the Liver Transplant Program at Rush, which is one of the top liver transplant programs in metropolitan Chicago.
The section also has the expertise of interventional radiology, gastroenterology, pathology and interventional endoscopy. Our multidisciplinary, collaborative program ensures that section patients have access to the best in comprehensive treatment for liver disease.
The Section of Hepatology regularly conducts clinical research on hepatitis B treatment, hepatitis C treatment, hepatitis vaccine development and other related topics. Our reputation for excellence translates into opportunities for our patients to have early access to the latest therapies. To see currently enrolling clinical trials, visit the Hepatology Trials home page. For other studies, visit the Clinical Trials home page.