Conveniently located just two miles from the Loop, Rush University Medical Center is one of four hospitals in the Illinois Medical District. The IMD has the most diverse patient population in the country — and it is notably one of the safest neighborhoods in the city of Chicago, according to local law enforcement agencies.
This safety also extends to the public transportation around Rush. Rush’s close relationship with the CTA security team has helped make the two L stops closest to Rush — the IMD Blue Line and Polk Pink Line — two of the safest on the L system, according to the CTA.
When you come to Rush, you can feel secure knowing our dedicated security team is committed to maintaining a safe place of healing and support for our patients, visitors, students and employees.
Dedicated security team
Security personnel at Rush are the first responders to any security situation at Rush University Medical Center and Rush University. The Rush security team works hand-in-hand with the Chicago Police Department and the police force at the University of Illinois at Chicago as well.
Rush has about 60 security officers, all certified through the state of Illinois. Many of our security professionals also have advanced training and certification through the International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety.
Personal security escorts
If you do not feel comfortable walking alone or if you or a loved one needs assistance, a member of Rush’s security team is available to escort you to any of the following locations:
- Medical Center parking lots
- Medical Center buildings and offices
- One location in the Medical Center to any other location in the Medical Center
These security escort services are available 24/7. To request a security escort, call (312) 942-5678 or simply dial 2-5678 from any Medical Center telephone.
Strong security presence
Rush prides itself on having a strong security presence. Dedicated members of our security team are stationed throughout the Medical Center and University — from the emergency department to parking lots and everywhere in between.
Some other tools we use to keep Rush safe include the following:
- State-of-the-art security cameras
- Emergency call boxes
- Strategic lighting
- On-campus shuttle
Be alert, be safe
Violent crimes are extremely rare around Rush. The most common crimes in the area include the following:
- Petty theft (e.g., pickpockets)
- Crimes of opportunities (e.g., stolen unattended laptops, cell phones)
While Rush has seen a significant decrease in overall crime in the past several years, it is always important to be cautious. Here are some ways to protect yourself from becoming a victim:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Report any suspicious activity
- Do not leave your personal belongings unattended at any time
- Walk in groups when possible (or call for a security escort)
- Stay in well-lit areas
- Don’t wear earbuds when walking from one place to another
- Don’t text when walking from one place to another
- Make eye contact; those looking to commit crimes don’t want to be noticed