- Who can request a SmartExam account?
- How do I request a SmartExam account?
- What if the system won't let me continue and set my password?
- Will SmartExam eventually be available for patients who haven’t seen a primary care doctor at Rush in the past year?
- How long does it take for my account to be activated?
- Can I share my account with my spouse?
- How long does it take to finish a SmartExam?
- Who reviews my SmartExam questionnaire and creates my treatment plan?
- Will I be treated by my regular primary care physician?
- Can I get prescription medications through SmartExam?
- What conditions can be treated through SmartExam?
- Do I need to use a camera or video?
- What browser should I use?
- Is SmartExam secure?
- How much will my SmartExam cost?
- Are prescription medications included in the $30 cost?
- How do I pay for SmartExam?
- Will I be charged if you can’t treat me through SmartExam?
- Is SmartExam covered by insurance?
You can request a SmartExam account if you are 18 or older and have visited a Rush-employed primary care physician in the past 12 months. Most primary care physicians who see patients at Rush are employed by Rush.
To request a SmartExam account, log in to MyChart. (Sign up for MyChart here, if you haven’t yet.) Once you have logged into MyChart, click Messaging at the top of the screen, then click Request SmartExam Account. Make sure you're using a web browser and not the MyChart app.
If you don’t see Request SmartExam Account, that means SmartExam isn’t available to you. For now, it’s available to people 18 and older who have visited a Rush-employed primary care physician in the past 12 months.
Please take a minute to refresh your browser. This will reset the page for you to enter your birthdate and a strong password. If you're still unable to continue, please email email@example.com.
We hope so, and we’re working on it.
One hour or less after you request an account, you’ll receive an email containing a code you can use to activate your SmartExam account. You’ll need to use this activation code within 24 hours. After that, it will no longer work. If this happens, go to the SmartExam log in page and click Forgot your password?
No. To ensure your privacy and safety, each person must have a separate account using a separate email address.
After you log in to SmartExam, you’ll fill out a secure online questionnaire including 25 to 75 questions. We ask different questions based on your symptoms and condition, so the time it takes you to finish will depend on your circumstances. On average, the questionnaire takes 12 minutes to finish.
One hour or less after you finish the questionnaire, you’ll receive an email containing a secure link to a diagnosis and treatment plan created by a Rush provider.
All SmartExam questionnaires are reviewed by Rush primary care providers — physicians or nurse practitioners. The name of the provider who reviews yours will be listed on your diagnosis and treatment plan.
We want to help you as quickly as possible, and your regular primary care physician isn't always available at the moment you need care, so we can't guarantee that they will treat you.
But you'll always be treated by a Rush provider. And they will always share your diagnosis and treatment plan with your regular primary care physician to make sure all your Rush care is coordinated.
Yes. Your provider can prescribe any medications you need and send the prescriptions directly to the pharmacy of your choice.
- Acne (requires an uploaded photo)
- Bladder infection or urinary tract infection
- Burn or sunburn (requires an uploaded photo)
- Cold or cough
- Ear pain
- Rashes and other skin conditions (requires an uploaded photo)
- Sinus pain or pressure
- Sore throat
We’re working on adding additional conditions. For now, if you need treatment for a condition other than these, you can make an appointment with a physician at Rush or visit one of Rush’s walk-in care locations.
You never need to use video. For some conditions, we may want to see a picture to help us understand what’s going on. If needed, you can upload pictures from your mobile device or computer.
On desktops and laptops, SmartExam supports Internet Explorer 10+ and the latest versions of Chrome, Safari and Firefox. On mobile devices, SmartExam supports the latest versions of Safari and Android Chrome.
SmartExam is owned and operated by BrightMD, and is fully compliant with federal and state laws pertaining to your privacy. Your name and email address will be treated with the same care and privacy given your health records, and will never be sold or leased. Health information is retained in SmartExam for 96 hours; afteward, it is de-identified and purged from the system.
We take great care to ensure your health information is kept private and secure. Access to information is controlled through secure activation codes, personal usernames and passwords. You control your own password, and your account cannot be accessed without that password.
No, you’ll pay for any medications at the pharmacy.
You can pay with any of the following:
- Debit or credit card
- Health savings account (HSA) card
- Prepaid Visa, MasterCard or American Express card
Just enter your card information when prompted. We’ll securely charge your card and email you a receipt.
No. If it turns out that we need to see you before we can diagnose your condition, we’ll help you schedule an in-person appointment, and you will not be charged for SmartExam.
Rush does not bill insurance for SmartExam. If you think SmartExam is covered by your insurance plan, you can submit a claim to your insurance company. If SmartExam is not covered, the $30 cost will not count toward your deductible or out-of-pocket maximum.
SmartExam is not covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
If you have questions not covered here, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll respond within one business day.