We understand that having a child in the hospital can be a stressful time for your entire family. That’s why the team at Rush University Children’s Hospital does everything we can to help keep your child and you comfortable while you’re here at Rush.
Rush University Children’s Hospital offers the following family-friendly amenities to all kids and their families to help provide an additional level of support, healing and overall wellness.
Letting kids be kids
Play is an important part of child development at any age — and it can be a powerful source of healing for our patients.
Rush University Children’s Hospital offers activity areas for kids and their families. These spaces provide a safe, kid-friendly way to get a break from their hospital room and do what kids do best: play.
Activity room: Open to patients and siblings, the activity room has age-appropriate toys and games, arts and crafts, and books. You can also take any toys, games, art supplies or books out of the lounge into your child’s room to allow your child a chance to play if they cannot leave their room.
Teen lounge: Designed for patients and siblings who are 12 years and older, the lounge has a computer, television, age-appropriate games, soft seating and tables.
Taking care of parents
When your child is in the hospital, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself. But self-care is an important part of caring for your child.
Rush University Children’s Hospital provides the following amenities to help you remember to take care of yourself while you child is in the hospital:
- A parent lounge with a continental breakfast daily, a microwave, couches, recliners, tables and chairs, a television and computer that is connected to the internet
- Kitchen area where you can get coffee and store food in the refrigerator
- Exercise room with an elliptical machine and recumbent exercise bike
- Laundry room with complementary washer and dryer
- Shower area
- Complementary massages certain days of the month