Try this tasty — and simple-to-make — spread
You're sure to delight partygoers of all ages with this delicious and healthful spread. High in fiber and protein and low in fat (with no saturated fat), it's a welcome addition to any get-together, from holiday parties to graduations to Super Bowl bashes.
It's also a great choice when time is short — you can whip this up in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained, save juice
- Juice of one-half lemon (or more to taste)
- 1 to 3 cloves garlic peeled (use more or less depending on your preference; more garlic gives the dip an extra zing)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame butter). To reduce fat, omit the tahini.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Ground red pepper (cayenne), to taste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, minced, for garnish
1. Add all ingredients except garnish to a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth.
2. Add reserved garbanzo bean liquid to make the dip thinner, if desired.
3. Adjust seasonings. If you're feeling adventurous, experiment with seasonings — try a bit of ground coriander, fresh mint or cumin.
4. Sprinkle with garnish.
Serve with pita bread or pita chips — look for the whole wheat variety. For a festive touch, serve colorful cut-up vegetables on the side: carrot sticks, red and green bell peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower or green onions.
Servings: 8. Calories per serving: 68; fat: 2g (saturated fat: 0g); protein: 3g; total carbohydrates: 5g (dietary fiber: 2g; sugars: 1g); cholesterol: 0mg; sodium: 91mg.