In her 30s, Anne Taylor (pictured with her father, Dale) lived with chronic pain. Forced to use a walker, she rarely ventured out to dinner, let alone traveled or went on dates. A rare autoimmune disease left her extremely vulnerable to surgical complications and infections. She couldn’t find a hospital willing to perform the surgery she’d need to repair her damaged joints — until she found Rush.
Today, Anne participates in 5k races for charity, travels abroad and has an active social life.
“Before this surgery, I wasn’t living life,” Anne said. “Today, I can honestly say I’m living my life, and I’ve never been happier.”
The impact of bone and joint disease
If you haven’t already suffered from a bone and joint condition, chances are that you or someone you love will. Genetics, an active lifestyle, a sedentary lifestyle, age — any number of factors puts you at risk.
The effects of bone and joint conditions are persistent and devastating:
- Chronic pain
- Disability and debilitation
- Loss of confidence
- Loss of productivity and lost wages
- Inability to work, travel or do what you love most
These conditions may not immediately threaten your life, but they can threaten life as you know it.
How your support of bone and joint care will help
The Bone and Joint Program at Rush is making meaningful discoveries that could forever change the way we treat — or even prevent — bone and joint conditions and autoimmune diseases.
Our vision is to approach bone and joint disease from every angle, including the following:
- Developing joint replacements that may last 30 years or longer
- Limiting chronic arthritis pain and stopping its progression
- Regenerating cartilage to stave off joint replacement in young patients
- Stopping cancer metastasis to the bone
- Preventing intervertebral disc degeneration
- Better understanding and treating autoimmune diseases
- Training tomorrow’s expert clinicians and researchers to propel future breakthroughs
Your support can make this vision a reality.
Areas where you can make a difference
Whether you’re giving because of the care you or a loved one received or simply to support the cause, your gift to one of Rush’s internationally renowned bone and joint programs may transform care worldwide.
- Orthopedic surgery: joint replacement; ACL repair; hip, knee and shoulder replacements
- Arthritis: osteo, rheumatoid
- Sports medicine, cartilage restoration, ACL repair
- Ortho-oncology: limb preservation, bone cancer treatment
- Spine care: disc replacement, spinal deformities
- Autoimmune diseases: lupus, vasculitis, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis
- Improved prosthetic longevity: metal allergy, bioreactivity
We are on the verge of meaningful discoveries that could forever change the way we treat — or even prevent — many chronic conditions. We look to our patients, families and friends to support this important work.
How you can give to the bone and joint programs at Rush
To make a gift or learn more about supporting the bone and joint programs at Rush, contact Mari Philipsborn, senior director of development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 942-6567.