An extraordinary school about four blocks south of Rush’s main campus helps teen mothers and pregnant teens to graduate from high school and build a life for their new families. In 2012, Rush opened an onsite health clinic staffed by Rush nurses and students at Simpson Academy for Young Women, offering medical care for the students and their children, as well as needed health education during pregnancy and after birth.
Thanks to support from the Rush Associates Board; organizations like the VNA Foundation, the Polk Brothers Foundation and the March of Dimes; and other donors, Rush’s school-based health center at Simpson Academy is making a powerful impact on young mothers in need and their new families. In 2013, Simpson Academy had a 100 percent graduation rate, 21.8 percent higher than the national high school graduation rate.
Help Rush make a difference in Chicago and around the world
Rush’s school-based health centers in Chicago Public Schools such as Simpson, as well as clinics at Orr Academy High School and Richard T. Crane Medical Preparatory High School, are just a few examples of Rush’s many outreach initiatives.
Learn more about Rush’s other efforts to help people overcome health care and education barriers:
- Community education and mentoring programs, such as the Science and Math Excellence Network, that help children and adolescents build confidence in school
- Directing volunteers and medical supplies to clinics, shelters and assistance services in low-income and underserved areas, including Chicago’s West Side
- Sending Rush students, faculty and staff to assist third-world countries with various needs, including building houses and establishing water filtration
- Rush University student-led community health programs, including RU Caring and the Rush Community Service Initiatives Program
- Subsidizing medical care for people with financial hardships and those who are not covered by insurance, Medicare or Medicaid
For more information about funding Rush’s community outreach programs, contact a member of our Annual Giving team at (312) 942-6112 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.