Ivy Cavalea faced serious challenges after she was born four months early. She stayed in Rush’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for five months. Ivy needed to grow enough to be put on a heart-lung bypass machine for heart surgery to fix a congenital heart defect.
“Rush has changed our lives, because we had a baby who wouldn’t have made it otherwise if we hadn’t been here,” said Tony Cavalea, Ivy’s father. “She’s a huge part of our lives. Every day, we think about our experience at Rush.”
Thanks to gifts from Crown Family Philanthropies, the Northern Trust Corporation, the McCormick Family Foundation and so many other generous donors, the new 40,000-square-foot Renée Schine Crown NICU opened in 2014 as part of the new Rush Family Birth Center. With the expanded unit, even more babies in need, as Ivy once was, can get the treatment they need to thrive.
Make a gift. Make a difference in many lives.
Just as charitable donations helped open the Rush Family Birth Center, gifts of all sizes make a difference each day in programs throughout the Medical Center. Learn about the different areas within Rush that your funding can support:
- Featured giving opportunities — donate to Rush’s current and continuing innovative efforts in health care
- Clinical programs — support Rush’s array of ongoing patient care efforts
- Research — contribute to the future of health care, discovering the causes of disease, more effective treatments and even cures
- Scholarships — help passionate students become tomorrow’s qualified and engaged health care professionals
- Community outreach — break down barriers to health care for low-income and underserved populations in Chicago and around the world
Questions? Contact the Office of Philanthropy at (312) 942-6830 or at email@example.com.