Study for Patients with Treatment Resistant Depression
The purpose of this study is whether using fermented milk product with probiotic (FMPP), a yogurt-like substance, over a period of 8 weeks can improve the mood of subjects with major depressive disorder (MDD) that have not improved on their current medication treatment.
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Are between 21 and 65 years of age and have been diagnosed with MDD.
- Have been on therapeutic doses of an antidepressant for at least 6 weeks prior to screening.
- Have a Body Mass Index between 25 and 35.
- Have no planned antibiotic treatment during the study, to avoid antibiotic treatments for the duration of the study.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Are vegan, vegetarian or observe other specific dietary patterns that are not representative of the general population.
- Are lactose intolerant.
- Have used FMPP or yogurt for 12 weeks preceding study entry.
- Have a history of 3 or more failed trials of antidepressant medications of adequate dose or duration.
This is a partial list of inclusion and exclusion criteria.