Clinical Trial TitleRisk factor and mechanisms for persistent pain after total knee replacement (PPP).
Clinical Trial Protocol Description:
The purpose of this study is to gather data to help determine the risk factors before, during and after total knee replacement surgery that may contribute to the development of persistent post-surgical pain at 6 months. In a national survey conducted recently about 59% of the participants cited postoperative pain as their most common concern related to surgery. A previous study found that inadequate control of pain following total knee replacement (TKR) procedures can delay the rehabilitative process. It may take longer for patients to develop a satisfactory level of function in their replaced joint. It may also make them more prone to developing chronic (long term) pain in that joint. Good pain control after surgery has been found to improve the long term outcomes for patients following TKR. Therefore, the purpose of the study is to explore the effects that postoperative pain has on outcomes following TKR surgery, for example, the ability to climb stairs.
Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria:
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Are undergoing standard tricompartmental primary TKR.
- Are 18-85 years of age.
- Have a knee to be replaced that is the primary source of pain.
- Agree to preoperative and follow-up visits and comply with the assessment tests.
- Consent to standard anesthetic and analgesic protocol, with medical care as deemed necessary by the anesthesiologist, and have no contraindications.
- Have a diagnosis of osteoarthritis.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Have chronic opioid use ≥ 10 mg/day of morphine equivalents within one week prior to the surgery, and duration of use > 4 weeks.
- Have a history of opioid abuse.
- Are not able to understand and communicate with the investigators to complete the study related questionnaires.
- Are planning to undergo another elective joint replacement procedure during the 6 month period of participation.
- Have any co-morbidity which results in severe systemic disease limiting function, as defined by the American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA) physical status classification.
- Are taking medication for severe depression.
This is a partial list of elgibility requirements. To inquire about your eligibility, please call the contact number provided. If you wish to inquire via email, please include the title of the study in your message.