As we begin to reopen Rush University Medical Center for elective procedures and in-person care, we are putting your safety first. For information about COVID-19, see the latest updates. Rush accepts donations to support our response effort, staff, and patients and families.
HERO-HCQ Trial: Healthcare Worker Exposure Response and Outcomes of Hydroxychloroquine Trial
Eligible participants will be randomly assigned (1:1) to either treatment group (HCQ) or placebo in a double-blind fashion. Course of treatment is 30 days and is as follows: HCQ/placebo tablet 600mg bid (twice) loading dose on day 1, followed by 400mg on days 2-30. There will be two on-site visits and four remote visits over an approximately 60 day period during which participants will complete various Quality of Life (QoL) questionnaires, provide serum samples, and undergo nasopharyngeal swabs for COVID-19 testing.
Note: This is an outpatient clinical trial.
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete Informed Consent.
- Are at least 18 years of age and able to speak and read English or Spanish.
- Are currently working with a trial participating site where individuals receive healthcare ("healthcare worker") or are associated with the site through emergency services or related healthcare services.
Are at risk for COVID-19 infection through one or more of the following work exposures:
- In the intensive care unit
- In the emergency department
- In emergency services
- In a COVID-19 hospital unit/ward
- In respiratory services
- In COVID-19 testing location
- In inpatient hospital unit/area with potential COVID-19 cases
- In long-term care, assisted living or skilled nursing facilities
This is a partial list of elgibility requirements. To inquire about your eligibility, please call the contact number provided. If you wish to inquire via email, please include the title of the study in your message.