EXERT Study: Building Memories Through Exercise
The study will test whether exercise can improve memory and thinking abilities in older adults with mild memory loss. Participants will be randomly assigned to either an aerobic exercise program or a stretching/balance/range of motion exercise program for 18 months at a YMCA.
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Are 65 – 89 years of age.
- Are experiencing mild memory loss.
- Are willing to be assigned to either exercise program.
- Are willing and able to exercise four times a week for 18 months at the McGaw YMCA in Evanston, IL.
- Are not currently exercising.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Have serious or unstable illnesses.
- Are unwilling or cannot undergo MRI or LP procedures.
- Are currently taking insulin, anti-diabetic medication, Warfarin or Pradaxa.
This is a partial list of inclusion and exclusion criteria.