Alcoholic Hepatitis Treatment Study
The purpose of this study is to test an experimental drug called GS-4997 for the treatment of severe alcoholic hepatitis (AH). Currently, the standard of care for treatment of AH is prednisolone, a corticosteroid. In this study, GS-4997 or placebo will be tested in combination with prednisolone. Nationwide, 120 subjects will be recruited for this study. At Rush University Medical Center, we expect to recruit 5 subjects. The treament will be assigned randomly.
In order to participate you must meet the following criteria:
- Have a clinical diagnosis of severe alcoholic hepatitis.
- Be willing to use a highly effective method of birth control if you are a female of child bearing potential.
You will be excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Have other causes of liver disease.
- Have a MELD score of > 30.
- Have a history of hepatocellular carcinoma or prior liver transplant.
This is a partial list of inclusion and exclusion criteria.