The Rush Employee Volunteer Program (EVP) supports volunteer activities that enhance and serve the communities where Rush system employee’s work and live. As an anchor institution on Chicago’s West Side, Rush has made a highly visible commitment to working closely with the communities near Rush University Medical Center and Rush Oak Park Hospital to address social conditions that contribute to poor health outcomes for residents. Part of our strategy includes providing a way for Rush system employees to volunteer in these communities.
This program creates service and community engagement opportunities that are meaningful, purposeful and help those in need to align with our organizational strategy and Community Health Implementation Plan. We specifically seek to address issues that improve health, well-being and quality of life for our neighbors, and to provide volunteer opportunities that enrich and inspire our employees.
Benefits of the EVP include the following:
- Providing needed services in our neighboring communities
- Helping employees become more familiar with these communities and their residents
- Strengthening Rush’s culture of giving back
- Boosting employee engagement and retention
Previous Volunteer Opportunity
Rush's Day of Service - Nov. 13, 2019
Rush's Day of Service began with a group of volunteers packing health and wellness bags in the Atrium - Ground Floor (1650 W. Harrison) to be delivered to one of seven community-based organizations serving the West Side.
Volunteer activities included the following:
- Cleaning offices and shared spaces
- Organizing files
- Sharing resources with community members using Now Pow
- Organizing/purging clothing for boutiques (for the homeless population)
- Created sockems for youth experiencing mental health challenges
- Playing bingo with seniors and serving lunch
Volunteer Experience Feedback
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
- MLK Day, Monday, January 20, 2020
- Rush’s Day of Service – Wednesday, April 22, 2020
- Employee Volunteer Celebration – Thursday, April 23, 2020