|CERNER / EPIC MNEMONIC:|
Detection of presence (positive) or lack of presence (negative) of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex rRNA.
[Note: The Gen-Probe¿ amplification system (MTD) is specific for, but does not differentiate among, members of the M. tuberculosis complex.]
Daily. Sent to IDPH if AFB Smear is positive.
Transport specimen to laboratory immediately. If delay, store specimen at 2°-8°C.
Undigested sputum (induced or expectorated), Bronchial specimens (bronchoalveolar lavage or bronchial aspirate), tracheal aspirate, pleural fluids.
1. Specimen other than sputum (induced or expectorated), bronchial specimens (bronchoalveolar lavages or bronchial aspirates), tracheal aspirates or pleural fluids.
2. Specimen from previous MTD test 'positive' (without written justification from physician).
3. Patient specimens with a ''negative'' MTD result will only be tested three times in a 90-day period.
4. Specimens not stored at 2° to 8°C before transport.
5. Specimens older than 7 days.
6. Specimen not labeled.
7. Grossly bloody specimen.
Patients with respiratory specimens that test AFB smear positive will require on AFB MTD test.
|TEST SYNONYM(S):||Mybacterium Tuberculosis Direct Test, Amplified (MTD|