(CHICAGO) — Join experts from Rush University Medical Center for two free wellness programs at the Rush campus this month:
• An interactive workshop to help people select the right Medicare Part D prescription plan from 3 to 6 p.m. Oct. 24.
• A three-part interactive workshop for people who are in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia from 1 to 3 p.m. Oct. 29, Nov. 1 and Nov. 5.
The events are sponsored by Rush Generations, a free health and membership program offered by Rush for older adults and the people who care for them.
Rush Generations’ senior health insurance counselors will be available for support at the workshop on Medicare Part D, which will be held at Rush’s new hospital building, the Tower, in its resource center (1620 W. Harrison St., Suite 4527). Open enrollment for Medicare lasts from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7, so now is the time to understand how to best choose a Part D prescription drug plan.
A mini lecture introduces you to Part D, what to consider when choosing a plan and demonstration of the Medicare website’s (medicare.gov) Plan Finder. Computer stations will be available for you to explore your options by accessing Plan Finder, and one-on-one counseling will help you narrow your choices.
Because space is limited, please call to reserve your spot. For more details and to register, call (312) 563-2703.
Rush Health Associates and the Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Illinois Chapter, are offering three two-hour workshops for people with early stage Alzheimer’s disease, along with their caregivers. All three sessions will be held at Rush’s Armour Academic Center (500 S. Paulina St.). People who are in the later stages of the disease, as well as their caregivers, will be referred to other programs and services. The workshop will explore the following topics:
• Understanding Alzheimer’s disease
• Partnering with your medical team
• Effective communication about your diagnosis
• Coping with life changes and making decisions
• Helpful strategies for safety and daily living tasks
• Available resources for people who have Alzheimer’s disease
To register, participants must complete a brief prescreening by calling the Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Illinois Chapter at (847) 779-6963.
Rush Generations membership is free and open to adults of any age. For more information about signing up, call (888) 352-RUSH (7874) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.