Integrative medicine is the use of complementary therapies to enhance conventional medical treatment. Complementary therapies can effectively manage symptoms or side effects of treatment.
Types of integrative medicine
- Acupuncture is a technique in which practitioners insert thin needles through the skin to stimulate specific points on the body. It can manage pain and reduce the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Massage therapy involves practitioners manipulating muscles and soft tissues of the body to promote emotional and physical relaxation.
- Nutritional counseling offers dietary strategies to treat illness and promote good health.
- Yoga is a form of exercise that combines physical postures, movement, meditation and breathing techniques to promote relaxation and stress reduction.
Benefits of integrative medicine
- Relieve stress
- Ease muscle tension
- Reduce anxiety
- Decrease nausea
- Reduce pain
- Increase energy
Why choose Rush for integrative medicine
- Integrative therapies are available to Rush patients and their family members to reduce the mental and physical stresses that accompany cancer treatment.
- The multidisciplinary team of expert practitioners at Rush has extensive training and experience in complementary modalities to provide excellent patient-centered care.
- The Cancer Integrative Medicine Program is located within the Rush University Cancer Center for convenient care that promotes patients’ healing and recovery.