The Nutrition and Wellness Center at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois has a team of licensed, registered dietitians and certified personal trainer who are highly trained experts in their field who can help you achieve your goals and pursue a better quality of life.
We provide a number of educational opportunities, including individual nutrition counseling, group nutrition classes, support groups, corporate nutrition and wellness programs, lectures and workshops and inservices for hospital staff.
Additionally, the Measure Up program is a holistic approach to equip and empower you in, not only weight loss, but in your pursuit of overall wellness! This program includes an initial metabolic and behavioral assessment followed by 9 follow-up sessions with your personal nutrition and wellness coach. It also includes admission to a gourmet cooking demonstration and access to our monthly newsletters. For more information on the Measure Up Program, click here.
These experiences begins with a one-hour nutrition consultation where we will:
- Analyze your current food intake.
- Determine your nutritional requirements.
- Provide the latest nutrition information.
- Develop a personalized nutrition plan based on your needs and goals.
- Make program adjustments that allow for success.
Our dietitians who are also certified personal trainers provide exercise consultations with individualized nutrition and fitness plans.
The Nutrition and Wellness Resource Library provides education on a variety of health-related concerns including:
- Weight loss/management
- Cholesterol management
- Prenatal nutrition
- Eating disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders (such as, GERD, Crohn's disease, celiac disease and irritable bowel syndrome)
- Food allergies/intolerance
- Gastric bypass
Free nutrition clinics are also currently available throughout the Medical Center for various patient populations, including:
- The Women's Heart Clinic is focused on assisting patients with elevated cholesterol, triglycerides, or blood pressure, as well as, weight management and various other nutrition-related issues.
- Employee Health and Wellness is a free service available to all employees of Rush University Medical Center, seeking nutrition information for various lifestyles and disease states.
- Rush University Senior Care Nutrition Services specializes in addressing healthy eating for healthy aging.
- Student Nutrition Services is a free service available to all students of Rush University, seeking nutrition information for various lifestyles and disease states.
- Radiation Oncology Nutrition Services are available through the outpatient radiation treatment center, and focus on the prevention and treatment of nutrition-related side-effects during cancer treatment.
Hale Deniz-Venturi, MS, RD, LDN, ATC/LAT, CSSD is a dietitian at the Nutrition and Wellness center. Specialty in bariatric surgery, weight management, sports nutrition, exercise physiology.
Andrea Domas, MS, RD, LDN, CDE is a dietitian at the Nutrition and Wellness center. Specialty in nutrition for diabetes.
Cassie Vanderwall, MS, RD, LDN, CPT is a dietitian at the Nutrition and Wellness Center, Radiation-Oncology Clinic, Cancer and Integrative Medicine Program and Rush's Senior Care Center. Specialty in weight management and physical fitness.
Kristin Gustashaw, MS, RD, LDN, CSG is dietitian at various senior sites in the city and at the Nutrition and Wellness center. Specialty in geriatrics and general nutrition.
Kathy Keim, PhD, RD, LDN is a dietitian at the Employee Health and Wellness Center. Specialty in nutrition for diabetes.
Heather Rasmussen, PhD, RD, LDN is a dietitian at Rush's Women's Heart Center. Specialty in nutrition for cardiovascular disease.