Part of the new Family Birth Center, the mother-baby unit at Rush is where new mothers, healthy babies and their families stay after a baby is born at Rush. It also where expectant mothers requiring special attention stay while awaiting the birth of their babies.
A place to bond after delivery
The mother-baby unit provides private space for families and healthy babies after delivery. At Rush, we believe that staying together promotes the following:
- Family bonding
- Family involvement in the baby’s care at the hospital
Comfortable rooms for the family
Rooms were designed around families and their needs.
- All suites are single, spacious and have private bathrooms for mothers as well as families.
- Patient and family areas within the suite can be separated with a curtain to give new mothers privacy.
- Couches and chairs transform into sleeping spaces for family and visitors.
- All care for the baby — including initial baths and exams by the pediatricians — is done in the mother-baby suite. This gives families the opportunity to ask questions, see what physicians are seeing, watch exams and learn about the care of their newborn so they truly feel prepared when they go home.